Dear Leo,
This year's annual vet visit:
I gave him a bath, cleaned out his ears, cut his nails and everything, too!
In anticipation of his "hot date" with the awesome Dr. Grace, who did such a great job with the cats last month. I saw her last Monday when I went in to pick up Kansas' flea tapeworm meds, and told her I'd just made an appt. for this week and REQUESTED her. I was thrilled she recognized me.
We didn't get to see her.
When I asked about it after the exam, they explained that they'd had a few emergency cases arrive that day & that she was most likely busy with one of those. So, we had to settle for the Mrs. of the husband and wife team that own the business. They're good vets, but they've done it for so long that I always feel like my pets are on an assembly line. Not that either one is unfriendly, but they don't seem very personable, or like they have much bedside manner, and they aren't very cheerful and open to conversation.
Usually, I don't care, but since we never see the same veterinarian any time we visit and there seems to be a high turnover rate, I was really excited to have found someone I really enjoyed in Dr. Grace and was hoping to see her every time, if possible.
I'm bummed about that, but the vet visit, itself, was great.
Leo had a blast greeting every person who walked in the door as we waited for our turn at the reception desk. They were really backed up with phone calls and patients trying to pay up and leave. I just wanted to make sure they knew we were present. Leo met all kinds of men and women of all ages during this time (I think we stood there for 15 minutes, which is not unusual), and their dogs. My sister went with us b/c she'd had her cat in to see them that morning, and had brought him back when the splint they'd put on him slipped off after a mere 4 hours of him napping.
Once we announced our arrival, we sat and kept my sister and the cat company for a while, during which time Leo made even more friends of all ages, shapes and sizes- human and canine.
One little old lady announced she wanted to take him home!
We weighed in at 76.6 lbs on the scale, on our own, and then when the vet tech had to do it herself, she let the "76.5" reading dropto "76.3" and recorded that. I hate when they do that. I always get what I feel is a more accurate reading because I make my dogs stand still until they calm down and relax, then make them sit, and then make sure I don't pull on their leash (which transfers a few extra lbs OFF the real weight).
He was good when they drew blood for his heartworm test- it has to be done every 2 years and this was his first time. They frowned at me for option out of the fecal parasite exam test, but as their heartworm treatment treats those as well and I'd had Kansas tested in March and she came up clear, I was confident that the meds are doing their job and that it wasn't necessary. I know they recommend this test every 6 months, but I also pick up after my dogs and make sure (as much as possible) they don't ingest foreign waste, and since I'm on top of their bathroom habits I know they aren't exhibiting symptoms of intestinal parasites. I mean, Kansas just had flea tapeworm last week- you can't MISS that and it's the only parasite the meds DON'T prevent against, and Leo hasn't pooped out any so I think he's negative.
Then we waited around for a really long time, only to not get to see Dr. Grace after all. The other vet just came in, fussed over Leo, gave him his two vaccinations and that was it.
We stood around in the waiting area for another 15 minutes as other customers ahead of us were seen to, and he got to meet a little girl, her parents, her baby sister, some more big and little dogs, a few other vet techs, a couple more old ladies.
Dr. Grace WAS consulting with someone in the waiting room and I did say hi, but she was obviously busy.
I'm bummed, but Leo's healthy and happy and was very well-behaved and got some good socialization practice, so I can't complain- except that my checkbook is $168 lighter, and that's AFTER the multiple pet discount that you have to have at least 4 pets in order to qualify for. Revolution (their flea/tick/heartworm/intestinal parasite/mange/ear mite treatment) has gone up in price again. $96 for a 6-month supply that includes a month free (so we really get 7 months' worth). When I first got Kansas, it was onlyl $60 for the same deal. Then it went up to $75... *sigh*...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like a productive visit and one without incident. I like those types of trips to the vet.
Actually, I'm really pissed that I asked for a specific vet and didn't get to see her. I have been looking forward to this visit for a month- for nothing. And the business owner/vet we did see didn't even look at Leo's mouth! I think it was the least thorough visit we've ever had.
Like I said, that particular couple leaves you feeling like you and your pets are just flowing along some assembly line.
And if my favorite receptionist had been there, she'd have informed me that the price of the meds had increased.
Post a Comment