Earlier in the week I'd communicated my intention to start taking you to a few area parks, so you could have opportunities to begin experiencing new things- things you could later see as "familiar" if/when we ever go camping again in the future.
For you and Airlie, it was your first trip to a park, though Kansas and I used to go walk at this particular location twice each week, back in 2005-06 when we lived in some nearby apartments. She had a blast, and was right at home in familiar surroundings. The park hasn't changed all that much, and then again, it has been greatly improved and expanded.
You seemed to enjoy it. Your daddy walked you. The trip was actually his idea and he voluntarily suggested we get up this morning and go. Imagine that. Not only did he join us on a walk (rare for him) he also got up "early" with me to do it! He even got the car ready!
I guess he recognizes that you need this, that it's good for you, that it's necessary.
I think you enjoyed it. I didn't get to experience any of your reactions, personally, since you weren't right by my side at the end of your leash like usual, but I walk you all the time. Daddy can walk you once in a while.
You shared the path with lots of joggers, and didn't mind being passed by walkers and joggers alike. You walked through the biggest, most tame flock of pigeons I've ever seen without batting an eye. You walked past sleeping ducks, and didn't disturb them.
You walked past playground equipment, and even some kids on the swings, though not many, and they were well-behaved. At least the shrieking of the swings provided you with something new and different to experience. I wanted Daddy to take you on and around some of the vacant playground equipment, just for the experience, but he didn't. Maybe next time.
There were a few people on bicycles, a pond, a wooden footbridge.
You seemed to enjoy it all.
I've had you out in the front yard on your long leash a few times this week, and you are doing well. Yesterday I sat on and pedaled the stationary bicycle in the garage, and you didn't seem to mind. I hauled out the wheeled fertilizer-spreader (the closest thing we have to a child's ride-along toy of any kind) and pushed it up and down the sidewalk for a while with you walking on my other side. You really didn't like it if I would push it too near you or steer it directly at you, but you sniffed it whenever I told you to, and you allowed it to accompany us.
You did all of that with a thunderstorm brewing, and Daddy conversing with one of the neighbors. He knows you, sort of, and I would have taken you over to greet him, but at the last moment I decided it might not be the best idea. I don't think anything would have happened, but maybe I'm not quite ready for that one yet.
Sunday, July 08, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment