It seems like the iodine and selenium are working. I think Leo had a bit of a thyroid/metabolism increase after adding them, as he seemed to experience some weight loss again. However, I finally also got his portions/serving sizes figured out, so now I'm very pleased with his weight. I haven't weighed him, so I have no idea what it is, but based on him being 90+lbs last year, and trying to get that weight off, then him losing too much, getting him to gain some back, losing some again from the supplements, and his healthy appearance now, I'd say he's somewhere around 85lbs, which looks good.
The supplements haven't had any effect on his flaky skin so far. I've been back and forth with the fish oil, but it does seem like the fish oil helps, so he's getting that again. I'm also hoping it will help his dental issues.
I've been thinking, and Leo's teeth and gums were definitely healthier (and cleaner), back when the dogs got one compressed rawhide chip every day. We discontinued that practice when Leo started biting his into chunks and swallowing them whole, then throwing it all back up, along with his morning meal. Such a waste of food, treats and money.
But, his teeth were clean.
I've been "brushing" his teeth twice a day since last January (2013), trying to take care of his mouth. There's been little or no change. It hasn't gotten worse, but it hasn't really improved. I've tried two different toothpastes, both a finger brush AND the regular doggy toothbrush. The 3-in-1 brand of dental wipes has seemed to be the most effective (on the other dogs), and I've been using that, in addition to the Tropiclean dental gel. Those seem to make the most difference. I've also tried three different brands of dental spray. Some have done better than others, and yet, at the same time, have not been as effective on one of the other dogs. I even tried the Tropiclean water additive. That was sort of a waste...
This time, rather than re-ordering wipes and dental gel, DH and I decided, why not revisit the rawhides, only this time, instead of the chips, buy something more durable that will last longer. Something we can give the dogs for a few minutes each day, then take it away (to make sure they don't eat it all at once or ingest too much). I found a few types/brands online that I liked, based on the "no preservatives, no bleaching, no chemicals, no sugar" labels. I'm also trying to avoid anything "made in China" or Mexico/Brazil/South America. However, our quick trip to Wal-Mart only produced ONE American made rawhide bone. For the girls, I settled for the rawhide rolls, made in Brazil, but otherwise approved based on the label. That will do for now. Then I came home and ordered the ones I'd been eyeing online, in addition to some a friend suggested, that she has successfully used with her 3 dogs. They're what I wanted, initially, and DH had volunteered to order them, but then he flaked out and since he needed to go put gas in the car, anyway... Wal-Mart it was. He paid for those, at least. He probably would have ordered the others, too, if I'd been patient. But he hasn't been great about ordering things he's talked about ordering for me, lately, so...
It should last them a while. Kansas is the most aggressive chewer. Rawhides are the only things Leo is interested in chewing. He loses interest in antlers after the initial excitement wears off. He does like the softer Nylabones I bought after Kansas broke her tooth, and systematically chews a few chunks off here and there about once a week. The plan is to give hm rawhide daily for a month, and see how his teeth look next month when it's time for his annual vet visit. Paws crossed for improvement, otherwise he's going to have to have his teeth cleaned, which is going to be expensive.
Kansas, after just two chewing sessions (we took them away after about 10 minutes yesterday, or "whenever their gums begin to bleed"), has demolished 1/3 of hers. But they all were able to chew for 35 minutes today. Airlie is tentative with hers. She's never been given rawhides before. But she's enjoying it. Today she let me take it from her much more easily. Yesterday she growled at me (a first). I made sure to stop by and check on them each a few times, asking her to "show me" and then praising her and letting her return to chewing. Leo likes to take his and run off and hide when he sees you coming, but he was better about that today. He did manage to unwrap the piece that makes up the rounded, "bone end" of the rawhide. That's why I don't like the bone-shaped ones. I don't like it that that separate piece comes off and is such a big piece to ingest. I almost let him keep it, but ended up pulling it out of his mouth, unfolding it (it was doubled over, twice) and giving him half. I didn't want it getting stuck to the roof of his mouth.
So, we'll see how that goes. The plan is to continue brushing everyone's teeth in the mornings, but suspend the evening brushing in exchange for the chewing. I don't want to put anything on anyone's tender gums immediately after chewing.
We went to the grand opening/open house for Dr. Morales' new clinic a couple of weekends ago. They were having visitors enter to win various drawings for free procedures- dental cleaning and senior bloodwork among them. I entered everything, really hoping to win one or the other of those, which would have been worth the drive to take Leo to a new clinic and have all of that done.
We won the grooming package. I still haven't called them back to decline it. My dogs don't really need grooming and probably wouldn't do well in that situation. I bathe them and do their nails/ears myself, and they're really not the types of dogs that need special grooming.
Also, it looks like we'll be in the market for a new vet one way or the other. We'd been debating switching again, after Kansas' dental and eye issues, but weren't sure if the drive to Dr. Morales' new place would be worth the switch. I think it would, but it appears there is a relocation in our future, so... we'll just get Leo seen next month, then make sure Airlie and the cats get in before the time comes, and the rest we will sort out later.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment